Cr Rod Kendall Wagga Wagga City Council
Ros Prangnell Community Member
Ian Leckie State Emergency Service (SES)
Steve Manwaring Office of Environment and Heritage
Caroline Angel Director Commercial Operations
Janice Summerhayes Director Community
Shaula Siregar Engineer - Water & Waste Assets
Brett Koschel Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Sam Robins Town Planner
Scott Gray Manager Executive Support
Adriaan Stander Strategic Planning Coordinator
Maree Ingram Administration Coordinator (Minute Taker)
The meeting of the Floodplain Risk Management Advisory Committee commenced at 8.40am.
A formal meeting did not take place due to no quorum for this meeting.
A presentation was made by representative WMAwater in respects to the Major Overland Flood Flow Study. There was also a general update provided to the attendees by project managers and a general discussion took place
Acknowledgement Of Country
I would like to Acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of this Land, on which this meeting takes place and to pay my respects to Elders past and present.
Councillor Vanessa Keenan Wagga Wagga City Council
As there was no quorum it was the decision of the members present that the confirmation of the Minutes of the proceedings of the Floodplain Risk Management Advisory Committee Meeting held on 10 April 2018, be deferred to the next Committee meeting.
Declarations Of Interest
No declarations of interest received
RP-2 PROJECT UPDATES
As there was no quorum it was the decision of the members present to receive and note the report.
Caroline Angel provided a project schedule to the Committee detailing current projects and their progress.
S Manwarring - commented that the Wagga Wagga Villages Floodplain Risk Management Study and Plan dates need to be modified.
Cr Kendall - Enquired as to whether the schedule would be updated for every meeting or six monthly.
Ø C Angel advised that updates will occur on a monthly basis.
Project 1753 - Wagga Wagga Major Overland Flow Flood (MOFF) Risk Management Study and Plan
Presentation on the MOFFS was made to the Committee by WMAwater representatives.
Over 3680 letters were sent to properties in the 1% AEP.
Cr Kendall – Was there no analysis for statistical return undertaken for the 2010 rain event to determine the probability of the concurrence of high river levels and rainfall?
Ø WMAwater advised that the analysis had already been done (Section 3.1 in the MOFFS Model Update report), which found that for the overland 1% AEP event a 2 year ARI tail water level in the Murrumbidgee was appropriate. Regarding ARR2016: it is not currently proposed to update the model to ARR2016, rather WMAwater is undertaking sensitivity analysis to determine if it is necessary to do the update at all. Further detail on the sensitivity assessment will provided at the next meeting if it is completed in time.
Cr Kendall – How detailed will the strategies be for identified hot spots?
Ø WMAwater advised that they will not be on a per property problem, they will be much broader and that it may benefit Council to undertake another media release advising that the study is not about individual drainage issues. Timelines for this project will be presented at each Floodplain Risk Management Advisory Committee (FRMAC) meeting
Project 18640 - Wagga Wagga Villages Floodplain Risk Management Study and Plan
A further report on Tender submissions received and the evaluation of the RFT will be provided at the next FRMAC meeting.
Project 1793 - Main City and North Wagga Levee Construction - Stage 1
A video of the installation of the concrete spillway at Flowerdale lagoon was shown to the Committee.
An example of the proposed stencilling for sections of the sheetpilling capping was provided to the Committee.
QUESTIONS WITH NOTICE/BUSINESS WITH NOTICE
1 Update on Northern Lake Public Meeting
Roz Prangnell advised the committee that she attended the recent Northern Lake public meeting in an observer capacity to gain a clearer understanding of the proposal. She took notes at the meeting and these will be provided to committee members.
Roz advised that Daryl Maguire encouraged the organisers of the meeting to form a committee and to apply for funding via State Water as there is likely to be funding available with the sale of the Snow Scheme.
Ø Cr Kendall suggested that Council representatives should brief the Local Member on the flaws of the Lake proposal in respect to its limited ability to be a flood mitigation measure, before any funding is issued to ensure any funding is given based on the right decisions.
Ø Cr Kendall requested an update at the next Floodplain Risk Management Advisory Committee meeting as to the progress of the Northern Lake project.
2 Date of the Next Committee Meeting
The Committee agreed to hold the next meeting of the Floodplain Risk Management Advisory Committee on 14 August 2018 at which an update on the Major Overland flow Flood Study project will be provided by WMAwater representatives.
The Floodplain Risk Management Advisory Committee rose at 9.45am.